Welcome to INSYDIUM Online

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

Chadman2672

Can Cycles render an object as a solid?

Ok the title isn't very informative....but what l'm wanting to know is if it is possible to make an object appear solid when using either Transparency or Alpha?

What l mean here is like when you get a cube in C4D and put a Compositing tag on the cube and un tick Seen by Transparency and then render it with say 90% transparency (refraction 1) you don't see any of the faces/polygons that camera can't see directly?

Uhm. Still confusing. 
By any chance, are you referring to backface culling (i.e. you don't see any of the faces/polygons that camera can't see directly) 

If so, yes, its possible. The Blender Cycles solution works with the C4D Cycles.

Sorry Bentraje, this C4D file will make sense Transparency Example.c4d

So as you will see the middle house allows you to see the all the geometry when you have transparency from a Display tag or an alpha channel (in every texture)

But the house on the right has a Compositing Tag on it with Seen by Transparency Un-Checked, so now the object looks like it is one solid object.

This is what l'd like to be able to do in Cycles 4D.

Hi @Chadman2672

I'm not sure if you get the same result but for the 
1) Display Tag 50%. You can just Mix the Transparent Shader with 50% factor
2) Seen by Transparency Unchecked. This would be the cyObject tag with the Transmission Unchecked.

You have to recreate the materials though in Cycles4D materials. 

No unfortunately that didn't work....the display tag only has an effect if it's at zero and that creates total transparency, at any other number it does nothing (l had no expectation that the Display tag was supported by Cycles any way) .......for the Cycles material l used a Diffused BSDF & Transparent BSDF node mixed together with a Mix Shader.....yes you get transparency  based on where the Fac slider is within the Mix Shader but you can still see the  the backfaces, which l just used a simple cube for the test. The scene file is attached.

I wish there was a solution because l have a scene where l have a lot of cartoon buildings and l have about 6 or so fading in out with a lot buildings in front and behind, and l want that solid look as if you've rendered each building on its own pass with no transparency changes in C4D and then doing all the transparency keyframes in AE ( which of course would give that solid look) on top of this you have to all the recomping in AE which is a pain in the ass if you do it this manual way.

But you can do it with C4D's native render engine and settings with the compositing tag but you have to use the Exclusion/Include Tab only and drag the applicable objects into that, that are either behind or in front of the object that is fading in or out using the display tag. l have RTX 2080 Super in my workstation that l wanna use and this is the frustration some what cos it dosen't really seem like Cycles C4D can do it and l don't think Redshift either even though it's "probably l assume" the most C4D friendly GPU render engine (l don't own Redshift l have just the demo)

Cycles 4D Setup.c4d

Hi @Chadman2672

I'm afraid I run out of solution. BTW, just a heads up, being an unbiased renderer, Cycles doesn't necessarily have "cheating" flexibility compared to Redshift (biased render).

For example, a simple exclusion where a Light A is present and Obj A is lit but Obj B is not lit  - is not possible. 
Both in Cycles Blender and Cycles4D, as far as I know.

Thanks bentraje for your time on this, unfortunately l have gotten so use to some of comping tricks in C4D native render engine that one takes them for granted some times.  But you hit the nail on the head....in that Cycles Blender/Cycles 4D are working on different laws which is not a bad thing it's just a case of knowing when to use a certain render engine on a particular situation but l thought l'd ask  the question re Cycles 4D.

Thanks Chad.   

@Chadman2672

Is this what you are looking for? Principled BSDF with alpha set to taste, Transparent BSDF, Mix them together with the Transparent Depth output from the Light Path Node. Didn't beat on it a bunch but I did put a smaller cube inside of the first one and it didn't show up at all which I think is what you want.

2lpk6cM.png

Hi Heavyhouse you are really close, so yes l can't see each of the cubes own polygons that technically the camera can't see apart from floor ( but this looks like an AO thing and C4D does that anyway.  But l am wanting to see the 2nd cube & that 3rd showing through the cubes in front of them. Just like you would see if you rendered out each of these cubes as their own render pass with no transparency but just diffusion  and layered them in AE  in the same order and changed the their transparency. You will never see the the back faces of each individual cube because they are 2D layers but you still will see the cube that is behind it....but again you'll never see each object's back faces......except if your probably doing something where the bottom of the surface is touching another which means you'll see it either in AO or GI shadows as per your test. 

None the less thanks so much Heavyhouse because it has been your time in putting this forward.