Welcome to INSYDIUM Online

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

LukeLetellier

Any Success with R21 & Deadline Render?

Has anyone had success with R21, Deadline Render, and XP Caches? 

Here at Mad Microbe we found a workflow that appears to be good for R20, but we're in the process of (finally) switching to R21, and our XP caches aren't rendering with R21 & Deadline. We can do a Team Render to Picture viewer with R21 - and that works great. But once we plop it up on Deadline the caches (internal or external) fail - and it's one of a few things keeping us from adopting R21. 

I'm just curious if anyone has experienced this, or if they have had success. 

Thanks!

Luke

Hey Luke, 

I'm running into this same problem. Unfortunately, I don't have an option to go back to R20. The odd thing is, the jobs aren't error'ing out, they are just rendering like there were no X-particles in it. I also tried both internal and external cache. 

Hoping there is a fix soon, I lose about 1/2 day on my workstation now having to render locally (Team Render isn't an option in our environment). 

Thanks,

Sean T. 

Hey Sean,

Our solution was to store external caches on our shared network drive, and instead of using a relative path to the new cache location, we make it absolute. This seems to work.

But internal caches do not work on Deadline/R21, nor do external caches with relative paths. 

Hope that helps!

Interesting - I'll give it a shot!

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Hi both - running into the same issues as both of you and wondering if you could elaborate a little futher Luke?

I am caching to external files and making the paths absolute - but im still getting empty renders on deadline, with no errors. TeamRender to Picture Viewer works fine.

My external cache path reads 'Z:\Work\DW_Share\Sim_Caches\X-Particles_Caches', which all machine can access as its on a server... Do you know if there is anything more i need to do beyond that?

Apologies, i know you arent tech support, but deadline support is notoriously awful haha!

Any info much appreciated!

Cheers,

C

Hey C,

Just to clarify - If you go onto one of those other machines, can you open up that particular scene file in located on Z and have the particles appear in C4D GUI?

Are all the machines on the same version of XP? We had issues before where the particles were cached on one version of XP and didn't render on another version.

Could you share a screenshot of the Deadline logs for one of those renders (the screenshots are easier to read through because of the color coding vs. copy/paste text). I highly doubt there would be anything unique in there, but it's worth a shot.

--Luke

Hey C, 

I have not had any success yet trying to get XP running on Deadline yet. I was very hopeful about the external cache file pathing that Luke mentioned (which makes sense) but there is still something not quite working yet. I ended up having to render locally due to a project deadline, but as soon as I have some more free time, I will be jumping back into finding a solution (hopefully) for this. 

Best,

Sean T.

Oh - did you guys install XP in the special Command Line C4D Preferences folder in addition to the standard C4D preferences folder?

R21 started this weird thing where once you launched the Command Line renderer for the first time, it creates a new preferences folder just for the Command Line (it has an "_x" appended to the end of the folder name). We had to add the XP plugin folder into there as well in order for Deadline to see/render. 

This is what made the whole shebang so frustrating for us, as there were two issues going on at the same time - which created a complicated mess of symptoms.

2020-06-29 11_19_01-MAXON.png

Not sure, I will have to check with my IT guys - but thank you for another avenue to check in to!

Sean T.