Welcome to INSYDIUM ONLINE

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

Anyone has any insight on xp4 performance? Im trying to find out what would be the best CPU to simulate, i read that some functions are not multithreaded, but most are. However there are reports of people running dual 2699 xeon that are not having "massive" performance. Is there any optimal point? e.g. High ghz vs cores

edit: more concrete. What would i buy. 
respectively core / clck / cinebench single/multi 
Intel i9 9900K 8 3.6 218 2077 
AMD Threadripper 1950X 16 3.4 166 3062

Any insight would be welcome

Basically, you need a fast processor with plenty of cores 🙂

But seriously, my personal opinion (not talking for Insydium here) is to stay away from Threadrippers - they have large numbers of cores but the slower clock speeds give disappointing results in simulations. The i9 you've suggested is a good bet. If I was building a new PC I'd go for an i9 of some kind.

Xeons do quite well but we have had people with Macs and dual Xeons reporting slow speeds, so again, it's an i9 for best results IMO.

Steve

Hey Steve, yep i got that far indeed.. I was just really hoping to get some hard facts from insydium. I'm on a 6800k right now which is doing quite okay, And i really don't wanna bust my ass getting a new system thats barely going to perform any better. Which it looks like any system will be doing...

This must be measured/tested by insydium right?

I'm sorry, I can't give you anything more I'm afraid. It's not possible to make hardware recommendations, there are simply too many variables - CPU speed, number of cores, amount and speed of RAM, and so on. And the hardware affects different parts of XP differently - whether more cores or higher CPU speeds are better will vary depending on what you are doing. We have a very wide variety of systems that we've tested and the only conclusion we can come to is that it's not possible for us to advise on hardware.

That's why I emphasised this was a purely personal opinion and definitely not an Insydium recommendation.

yeah i kinda expected something like that 😛 thanks anyhow! will not upgrade then as it doesn't seem to be worth it.