Welcome to INSYDIUM ONLINE

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

Sign in to follow this  
teknow

xpShaderFalloff Bug? SOLVED

The xpShaderFalloff is in the xpChangeGroups. Also the render to the picture viewer is completely different than the editor render.

Here it is again with a Cycles material:

xpShaderFalloff 1.c4d

Thanks, I've found it now, though there is no layer shader there, just the xpShaderFalloff.

The problem is not a bug, it's a serious limitation in the Cinema SDK. For any animated shader to work, they must be given the current scene time. For almost everything else in Cinema, you have access to the scene and therefore the current time. With the exception of (you guessed it) falloffs. With a falloff there is simply no way to get the scene time, it just can't be done. I remember spending hours on this when writing the falloff before concluding it was not possible. So animated shaders are out, I'm afraid.

Re the other problem - PV render vs. the viewport render - my guess is that you mean the viewport appearance is different to the PV render, is that right? Because if you do an actual viewport render, it looks the same as the PV render. This is because in the skinner you have two settings, Polygon Size and Render Polygon Size. The first is used in the viewport, the second at render time. This lets you work with a low-poly mesh in the editor and a high-poly version in the final render, but as you found, if the render size is significantly smaller than the viewport size, the mesh can look very different. Make them the same, and the viewport mesh will look like the one in the PV render.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your explanation! That solves one huge problem for me.

When you add a Layer Shader it slowly subtracts the layer each frame until it is gone and unless you tell me otherwise I will assume it just won't work. 

Here is another example file and in it I can render it beautifully to the Picture View as a .tiff but the xpSpinner mesh will not display in the editor view OR the Real Time Render view of Cycles unless I play the file. Any workaround for that?

Shader scaling in it works perfectly.

Overall I am really excited about the capabilities of xpShaderFalloff and the other falloffs. Great work! I don't have c4D r20 so it kind of gives the functionality of Volumes and Fields of r20 and for my organic modeling this is huge.

3D Noise 7.c4d

Fixed it! If I use xpOVDBMesher instead of xpSkinner to create the mesh it works perfectly (but Layer Shader still doesn't work)

3D Noise 7.c4d