Welcome to INSYDIUM ONLINE

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

rllozano

Spline Mesher as Cloner Source wont render

I am creating a vine growing effect and meshing particle trails with the spline mesher and using the spline mesher as the source for a cloner to spawn leaves. The effect works great and I can render individual frames but when I try to render the whole sequence I either crash or the clones wont render. This only occurs when the cloner with the spline mesher source is active and occurs with standard, physical, and Octane render. Anyone have any suggestions? Using xp4 with R19. 

vines_sketch2.c4d

For me nothing to do with xp but octane. Rendered with physical render as I don´t have Octane. But I would suggest to go for spawning with the leaves and keep that xp as the bad flickering you´ll see in the anim can´t be fixed if you clone on to a changing number of faces as the growing veins are . Cloner decides every frame where to put the clones and as the faces change with each frame they´ll appear on a different one each frame what you really don´t want to have.

Thanks Lothar. In the version you rendered, was the splinemesher the source of the cloner? because I get this flickering result when using the trail object as a source but the spline mesher handles things differently it seems because I do not get the problem at all and the clones stay put once they are spawned. 

Any suggestions for a work around for spawning the leaves?

9 hours ago, Lothar said:

For me nothing to do with xp but octane. Rendered with physical render as I don´t have Octane. But I would suggest to go for spawning with the leaves and keep that xp as the bad flickering you´ll see in the anim can´t be fixed if you clone on to a changing number of faces as the growing veins are . Cloner decides every frame where to put the clones and as the faces change with each frame they´ll appear on a different one each frame what you really don´t want to have.

I was able to render a version just like that using both renderers. However, once using the splinemesher to fix the flickering problem I cannot render in either so I know its not a problem with the renderer. The cloner object seems to not like the spline mesher as a source because once I place it in there, I cannot copy the cloner object into a new scene or anything until I change it. Very weird.

To anyone wondering, my workaround was to allow vines to grow to end of scene and then create an object, hide it, and use that as the cloner source. 

Didn´t see you are on R19 first time but trying to do a spawning setup for you, I found some issues maybe with XP Early access version. Have to nail it down and send a bugreport maybe. But it is stable on my R20 version and R19 with release version 535 of xparticles. So if you get crashes upon playback, you might need to change xp version ...

Here´s how it works. First thing we need is groups to sort out which modifiers act on what particles. Stem groups go to constraints, branch, attractor and follow surface.

Now we can add an emitter for the leafs. Within xp branch mod you can enable spawning and add this emitter there.  Set number of spawns and an interval which determines density of spawns on the branches. Now within sub branches just enable those generations you want to have spawns (leafs) on. I only skipped first one which might result in a bit too many leafs. Perhaps try last two only or increment interval.  Then - though it might sound odd, disable spawning again within branch object. This prevents primary vein to get spawns and just greys out settings. So if you want to change, you have to enable it again to make basic changes and then disable it again. But the sub branches you activated spawns for will get their leafs now.

Leaf emitter needs rotation to be activated and set to tangential. Your leaf object needs axis to be  adjusted to beginning of stem before putting below generator.

I´m emitting these spawns at very low radius and use a scale mod limited to the leaf group to grow them over time. Speed and variation can be set in that modifier. If you want some delay, you might start growth with an age question in that spawning emitter  as well.

vines_sketch2b.c4d

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

couldn´t resist to do an animated version 🙂  Some changes - added randomisation in distribution of leafs by adding another group to spawning emitter which keeps radius 0 and ratio between groups set by gradient. Scaling has a variation in end value between 3 and 4.5 now and slightly faster growth rate. And of course animation for all - a bit too much for the leafs but I just wanted to show it is possible as well.

Dont know why the last files are so dark, in PV they look ok ....

Edited by Lothar