Welcome to INSYDIUM ONLINE

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

jdk158

Compositing With Cycles 4D

Hello all,

I am a beginner with Cinema 4D still as well as after effects.  Recently I have tried a compositing project with small footage I have.

I have already placed a 3D tracking camera from after effects and opened it inside of Cinema.  The thing I do not know how to do and have not seen any tutorial on is how to composite anything from cinema into after effects.

Below I have attached images of the files and was wondering how would I be able to import the jpg sequence after effects renders to be able to be composited frame by frame into cinema as a background or environment?

Please anyone help me out!  I like cycles but there needs to be either more tutorials or some where i can find more information about this.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.56.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.55.03 PM.png

I've uploaded an example scene, that splits the cyEnvironment into an HDRI for lighting, and a background image for compositing. You need to use the Alpha Channel checkbox in Render Settings > Save to render with no background image so you can composite it in After Effects

The key is to use a Mix Shader to split your background shader into the camera background and the lighting off camera view. You can't use cyEnvironment's "Controls Texture Rotation", so I've added a mapping node in Cycles4D

HDRI_bg_setup_correct_upload.c4d

Studio_06.tif

bg_image.png

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Just want to say thanks for the file. I'm new to C4d / Cycles4d and had the same question. This should help a lot.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:21 PM, Dave said:

I've uploaded an example scene, that splits the cyEnvironment into an HDRI for lighting, and a background image for compositing. You need to use the Alpha Channel checkbox in Render Settings > Save to render with no background image so you can composite it in After Effects

The key is to use a Mix Shader to split your background shader into the camera background and the lighting off camera view. You can't use cyEnvironment's "Controls Texture Rotation", so I've added a mapping node in Cycles4D

HDRI_bg_setup_correct_upload.c4d

Studio_06.tif

bg_image.png

Hey Dave, I have updated the environment nodes so its a bit more accurate now.

I was able to find a way to import the .obj file and actively edit my scene by dragging the cinema 4d file into an after effects layer but all my materials did not show up and the grid background still remained.  Is it recommended to export the alpha channel then bring that into after effects or is there something else I am missing?

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 7.39.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 7.38.21 PM.png

So Cycles 4D doesn't work with the C4D to After Effects file importer and renderer, called Cineware. I don't know much about this process though, I believe it uses Cinema4D's standard renderer, so you'll need to use C4D materials, NOT Cycles 4D ones or cyEnvironment. Read more here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/after-effects/using/c4d.html

If you want Cycles 4D renders in AE, you'll need to render them to an image sequence with alpha (using a format like PNG, PSD, TIFF, OpenEXR etc.), then import the image sequence into AE. Make sure to match the frame rates when importing image sequences! https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/after-effects/using/preparing-importing-still-images.html

Hey Dave, it took me a little less than a day to render this clip in alpha yet only in the last frame, I am able to see the object I am working with.  I set all of the render parameters accordingly yet all the other still png files for each frame are completely transparent.  I even placed compositing tags on every other surface in the c4d file to make sure only the car is seen in the final render.  If there is something that I am missing or doing wrong, please let me know.  I also rendered to match my frame rates as well

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 8.10.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 8.10.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 8.10.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 8.10.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 8.10.00 PM.png

Apologies for the slow reply, I've been on holiday. I can't really help much without seeing your C4D file, can you attach it or DM it to me?

Does anyone know how to get a gradient to show in the background instead of a solid color (without using a bitmap image)? I tried running a gradient through a color ramp into the second background node and it doesn't show up. Do I need to run it through a diffuse node first? Any help would be great since I use gradients all the time to fake an infinite background.

Thanks!

Pipe in a Cycles Gradient Texture node, then remap the colour with a color ramp. I added a Mapping node after generating the background UVs and rotated them 90° for an up down gradient, then piped this into the Gradient Texture node vector port.

See the attached C4D file. You'll need to supply your own HDRI. TBH it's probably a better workflow to render with alpha and then composite your background in post, but this is obviously a bit quicker

HDRI_bg_setup_gradient.c4d

Edited by Dave
  • Like 1

Thanks Dave!

I'll have a look. You're right it probably is better in the end to use an outside texture. But I figure for quick lookdev, this will help a lot for speed. Thanks so much for your help. I do appreciate it!

Simon