Welcome to INSYDIUM ONLINE

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

Grizzle

Can anyone work out how to make this beautiful liquid/marble image?

Hello amazing people! 

Can anyone help us work out how best to tackle recreating this marble/liquid effect? 

We've been playing with displacement maps and getting some okay results but because we're using geometry we're a little limited by how complex  we can make the swirls. Also we haven't found the perfect mix of displacement. 

So now we're thinking down the lines of XP to make it. :classic_biggrin:

For the animation / motion of the image we've been given this awesome BBC 2 ident as a reference:

https://youtu.be/szX9L8J6CC8?t=505 

Any thoughts & help much appreciated!

Cheers, 

Tom

blue marble.jpg

Hi Tom,

I spent a loooong time researching how to do this for thin film on bubbles, that changes saturation over time, and gravity moved swirls down the bubble. There USED to be a 2D plugin for C4D that could be used to create this sort of pattern, which is no longer available and was very complicated to produce (no real manuals). I can’t find my reference to that at the moment. It was used in an mtv bubble ident about 5 years ago-ish.

Here is where I got to using multiple layered distortions in C4D. Would be interested to see if you get anywhere with this.

shwirls.jpg

NEW and Improved.c4d

Hey DBaker, 

big thanks! gonna have a play with your file, see if we can hack it to what we need. Thanks so much for uploading :classic_biggrin:

Shame that plugin isn't available that would be ideal. 

This is where our tests got to using a displacement map, a flat projected texture, and a ton of geometry:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nj4zs1hs9ud1o5/Displacement%203.mp4?dl=0 

Its not quite there as you can see. I wonder if the two techniques could be mixed somehow... i'll give it a try

Cheers!

Tom

Ah, good find Tom – Just tried in R18, 19 and 20. Plugin doesn’t load. Maybe you have an older version of C4D installed?

Wish there were a way of getting this plugin, or at least some sort of 2D liquid in C4D. Let me know if you have any luck.

Dean

Hey Dbaker, 

thanks for those! we're not using Nuke here unfortunately but the beta plugin could yield something. 

Yeah was disappointed to find that the remotion plugin wasn't working with the newest versions of C4D. 

found this the other day - this is pretty much exactly what i'm after:

Any idea if there's a workflow in XP that could achieve that? The feature that seems to be missing is at around 20 mins in he closes the boundaries on the fluid sim and means that the particles behave like a fluid would on a surface. I've tried the limit modifier in XP and also follow surface but no joy.  

Cheers for your help!

Tom

by the way getting somewhere with an XP fluid sim on this, will keep you updated!

It had to be Houdini of course 🙂 

Last time I looked into building it with xp, was before xplosia was added, so it should get closer now. Interested to see how close you get.

Dean