Welcome to INSYDIUM ONLINE

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

Sign in to follow this  
bentraje

Particle Mass Not Working

Hi, 

I have two emitters with a gravity modifier. The first one has 2000 mass and the other has 1 mass. 
But they fall exactly the same. I tried the density on the fluid tab but it still works as is. 

I don't want to use separate gravity modifier for each emitter. It's a bit counter-intuitive.

Am I missing something or is there a way around this? 

Thank you for looking at the problem

you have to tell gravity modifier that it shall use gravity.

Go to gravity mod -> mapping and add new map , strength to mass.

Then you can adjust the curve it the behaviour should be linear, exponential or whatever.

massmapping.c4d

@Lothar
Interesting. Thanks for the set-up. However, wouldn't this workflow make it a little bit unrealistic since we are modifying the gravity strength which should always be 100% or always at 981cm. 
Anyhow, as long as it looks good. It is fine by me. 🙂

Thanks again! 

Actually, your original post described the physically correct result. With the same grav strength objects of different masses fall at the same rate (Galileo first postulated this). So particles with different mass values should fall at the same rate, as you saw. If you want them to fall at different rates, you either have to add drag (which is why a feather doesn't fall at the same rate as a cannonball - it's due to drag from air resistance, not the difference in mass) or alter the gravity strength, which in this case either means two different modifiers, or as Lothar showed, use data mapping. That's the better solution as then the strength can be made proportional to mass.

True, it's not physically correct. But who cares as long as it works?

If you're interested, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo's_Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa_experiment

• Like 1

I totally forgot about the drag in the real world scenario. Thanks for the reminder!
Yea, as long as it looks good, it's okay with me 🙂

Thanks for the response. Have a great day ahead!