Welcome to INSYDIUM ONLINE

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

Sign in to follow this  
Jakob Wagner

Scale with ease

Hi

I'm using xpScale to scale up my particles when they emit. They emit at a size of zero. Then scales up with one cm per frame until randomly scaled to somewhere between 2 cm and 10 cm in size.
Current settings attached as image.

This works fine, but I would like them to scale slowly in the start and beginning. So ease the scaling animation.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Jakob

xpscale.png

Data mapping is the way to go here. Map the 'radius change' parameter to particle age, adjust the age range to whatever you need, and tweak the mapping spline to give the look you want.

Steve

No, what I meant was, keep the settings as you originally had them and data map the radius change parameter. Your original settings gave a uniform increase in radius with age, if you map this parameter to age then the increase in radius will be slow at first then get faster as the age increases.

I really appreciate your responses. But I can't see how that would work (tested it too). That would, if I understand it correctly, ease in the Radius Change value. So it would start at zero and go to 1cm in my example. But this would result in an end Radius Change value of 1cm and lead to a very hard end of the scale animation. So there is a difference in easing the scale amount (Radius Value) and the amount in which it is scaled (Radius Change). Also it would not care about the random sizes, so smaller and larger particles would ease differently.

Again, I might be totally wrong, but it still isn't working. It is of course being slower in the beginning (ease in) but not in the end (ease out).

... so this would work. But only for the biggest particles, but not for the small ones. It seems impossible to me to make it work for the particles no matter their size, since you kind of have to estimate the Radius Change value to fit their size.

xpscale3.png

I know I'm a little obsessed with having things easing correctly, but it's really important especially when using larger particles.

In this test you can see the problem. The three particles are all 10 cm and ease in/out correctly. But if you set Lower Radius Limit to 1 cm, the two smaller particles doesn't ease correctly.

I can't find a way to solve this.

xpScale2.c4d

Yes, I think I see what you're trying to do. If I understand correctly, you want to have each particle reach its maximum size at the same age. As it is now, the smaller particles reach that final size first, the large ones last.

This is because what the modifier is doing is to increase the radius of each particle by the same amount each frame, regardless of how big or small it will eventually be. What you need is for the particle radius to be increased by a percentage of its final target radius each frame, so they all scale up at the same rate.

There's no way to do that as it stands because the final target radius is not exposed to the data mapping. I'll have to think about this and see what might be possible, but I can't see a way to do it with the modifier in its current form.

wonder if this could be a solution. Just make the variable radius independent from scaling. I use temperature , but can be any unused parameter as well to create randomness by mapping the upper radius limit to that. Now you can ease in the radius like Steve has shown and you´ll end in a random sized particle cloud...

radius ease in.c4d

random scale over time.jpg

Edited by Lothar

Thanks Steve and Lothar

@Lothar I think I see what you are getting at, cool technique, but it still isn't giving the desired ease in/out effect.

@Steve Pedler I'm actually fine with having the smaller particles scale up faster, what I care about is the easing curve. It's a shame if it can't be done. It would be really nice when using bigger particles, like when using the xpGenerator to attach geometry. Consider it a feature request, I have needed it often, but until now I have lived with the linear easing.