Welcome to INSYDIUM Online

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

Richard Squires

Update to C4D 23.11 breaks Cycles

I just updated to 23.11 and I have lots of problems with Cycles crashing when I initiate the Live Viewer and try rendering. My update to C4D 23.11 was not without issue as the updating did not show a progress bar and I wasn't sure if it was finished. It seems to have updated but I now have this issue. I  do have an older version of C4D on my laptop so I am still able to use it, but currently this is bust in C4D 23.11. It is not scene dependant. I have added Cycles Cam and Environment which work, to a simple scene with a cube. But Live Viewer just crashes

@Richard Squires Can you please provide steps to recreate this crash?

For example, is it on opening the Cycles 4D Real Time Preview window and do you experience the crash using any other features or parts of Cycles 4D?

After I updated C4D, I did not restart my Mac. I opened C4D and made a simple cube. I added a cycles camera, and environment. Which both appear fine. I then launched the live viewer and poof crashed. I then tried again and didn’t use the live viewer but simply used the render button to render to picture viewer. This crashed also. I then restarted my Mac and logged back in. I started C4D again and built the same very simple scene, cube camera environment. I opened the live viewer and it worked. Which surprised me. I then went and added a material and it crashed. I can possibly try and record a screen cap of the crashes if needed. 

On Mac 10,15,7 and R23,110
After installing the Cycles 541 update, first rendering with a very impressive time saving for equal quality ....
BUT after a forced stop, with a flying window of the "timeline"
Then impossible to restart C4D without having a Crash on startup.
Complete installation of the application without deleting all the C4d files in the Library folder where the application preferences are found. So always I still had the problem and could not open C4D.
Finally after removing all Maxon files and re-installing with version 509.
While waiting for the end of the renderings of my current projects .... to try version 541 again.
I do not know if it is a problem of C4D or Cycles4D 541 ....
But with a reading impossible to stop, for lack of power, the forced stop is the only solution that I know ...
xavier

@xavier Can you please provide a screen recording to show exactly what you mean? 

Once we can see exactly what is happening, we will be able to follow this up for you. 

14 hours ago, Nathan Page said:

@xavier Can you please provide a screen recording to show exactly what you mean? 

Once we can see exactly what is happening, we will be able to follow this up for you. 

On 11/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, xavier said:

On Mac 10,15,7 and R23,110
After installing the Cycles 541 update, first rendering with a very impressive time saving for equal quality ....
BUT after a forced stop, with a flying window of the "timeline"
Then impossible to restart C4D without having a Crash on startup.
Complete installation of the application without deleting all the C4d files in the Library folder where the application preferences are found. So always I still had the problem and could not open C4D.
Finally after removing all Maxon files and re-installing with version 509.
While waiting for the end of the renderings of my current projects .... to try version 541 again.
I do not know if it is a problem of C4D or Cycles4D 541 ....
But with a reading impossible to stop, for lack of power, the forced stop is the only solution that I know ...
xavier

yes,

the next time I do a full install before erasing all traces of c4d and plugins in all the folders on the disk.

To start over from the previous version.

Before I would do a screenshot

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue. Just bought Cycles and am using a Macbook Pro. Anytime I go to render C4D crashes immediately. I downgraded to r22 and it works perfectly. Any idea on when this bug will be fixed?

Thanks

Specs:

• 2.6GHz 6-core 9th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory

@MrButtonhead Is the issue scene specific or does it happen with all renders using Cinema 4D R23.11? 

If it is scene specific, please respond with this attached and we can then follow this up for you.