Welcome to INSYDIUM Online

The place to talk about X-Particles and Cycles 4D

Sign in to follow this  
Red Ben

Setting up decent depth pass

Really struggling to get a usable depth pass from cycles.
Have clicked 'ZDepth' in Camera Elements within Render Elements within Cycles render settings - but just getting something like object buffer i.e. black and white.

trying different buffer/focus depths but no luck.

Any thoughts?...

Try using the Camera Data node with the View Z Depth connected to an shader, although you might need to remap the black and white values to be visible. This is not very accurate though, and probably not the "proper" way to do it.

You can also use the new AOV feature to do a separate render pass (the disadvantage with this is you'd have to use the same material on all your objects)

See an attached example scene

z-depth.c4d

Thanks Dave, appreciate you taking the time to respond.  
Will give it a try.

Also struggling to render out separate light passes.

Great. I forgot to mention, zdepth passes shouldn't really be anti-aliased, so perhaps look at rendering without it. I haven't looked into how to do this in Cycles, must be possible though

As far as I can tell, there's no automated way to do separate light passes. So you'll have to render out your scene multiple times with the lights turned on/off as required. You might be able to do something clever with RGB coloured lights in a single output, but I can't help you with this any further. Or perhaps try adding light materials and then use AOVs within the materials? No idea if it'll work, worth experimenting though